Mother and Child Divided is the eleventh episode of season two, It was serve as the summer premiere airing on June 10, 2013.
While Regina has been away at rehab, Daphne has grown closer to the Kennish family, spending her days at their country club and her nights in their guest room. This new family dynamic does not sit well with Regina, who unexpectedly returns home early in hopes of spending more time with Daphne. This causes a fight. Daphne is angry that Regina is back and tells Regina she deserted her. Bay begrudgingly starts working at her dad’s Senate office and, when her car breaks down near a local carnival, runs into her ex-boyfriend, Ty who has returned from serving in Afghanistan. Meanwhile, Travis talks Emmett into bringing some girls over to the house while Melody is out of town, and Kathryn’s elaborate ideas for Toby and Nikki’s rehearsal dinner rubs Nikki the wrong way.
- D.W. Moffett as John Kennish
- Lea Thompson as Kathryn Kennish
- Lucas Grabeel as Toby Kennish
- Sean Berdy as Emmett Bledsoe
- Katie Leclerc as Daphne Vasquez
- Vanessa Marano as Bay Kennish
- Constance Marie as Regina Vasquez
- Giles Marini as Angelo Sorrento
- Blair Redford as Ty
- Matt Kane as Jace
- Marlee Matlin as Melody Bledsoe
- Brandon J. Sornberger as Mark
- Krista Marie Yu as Colette
- David Joyner as Gavin
- Cassi Thomson as Nikki Papagus
- Morgan Krantz as Mac
- Ryan Ahern as Jim
- Brandon Claybon as Hal
- Taylor Emerson as Snack Guy
- Rachel Rosenstein as Evelyn
- Emmett: Well, you never had me as your wingman and we have all summer.
- John: You know, forcing tea candles on Nikki isn't really going to change things.
- Bay: Oh, it's probably Triple A. I have to get back to cleaning cinders and taking orders from my wicked stepsister.
- Kathryn: There are a lot of ways to build character, suffering is not the only one.
- Regina: I don't consider a high school junior not having a credit card suffering.
- Kathryn: I know I shouldn't be saying this, but it's been so nice having the two of them to ourselves the past six weeks.
- Title reference: From the 1993 artwork, Mother and Child Divided, by Damien Hirst.