|Birthdate:||November 6, 1986|
Katie Leclerc was born in San Antonio, Texas, and grew up in Lakewood, Colorado. She is the youngest of three siblings. She started learning American Sign Language at 17. Her older sister also teaches ASL. At age 20, Katie was diagnosed with Ménière's disease, a degenerative inner ear disorder, the symptoms of which include fluctuating hearing loss and vertigo; both her father and older sister have Ménière's disease as well. Her symptoms were not present during childhood, so her speech has not been affected. She uses an accent on Switched at Birth to emphasize Daphne's hearing loss. On September 6, 2014, she married her long-time boyfriend, Brian Habecost.
Katie discovered her passion for acting in seventh grade when she got the lead role in a production of Annie. She then moved to San Diego, to pursue theatre at Valley Center High School. She took part in commercials for Pepsi, Cingular, Comcast, and GE. In 2006, she was in the Rascal Flatts video "What Hurts the Most" as a student in the classroom. She started her television career when she guest-starred on Veronica Mars. Since then, she has acted in many other television shows.
Episodes in Switched at BirthEdit
|2006||Gravy Train||Lydia Faye|
|2009||The Inner Circle||Claire|
|2012||Seven Lanterns||Rachel Hawthorne|
|2013||The Confession||Katie Lapp|
|2005||Veronica Mars||Crystal||Silence of the Lamb|
|2006||Fashion House||Sara||Recurring role (4 episodes)|
|2007||The Naked Trucker and T-Bones Show||Tokersville Queen||Salute to America|
|2007||Saints & Sinners||Bride||Dance, Dance Revolution|
|2008||The Riches||Teen Girl||Friday Night Lights|
|2008||The Ex List||Mila||Protect and Serve|
|2010||The Hard Times of RJ Berger||Deaf Girl||Lily Pad|
|2011||The John Kerwin Show||Herself (guest)||Katie Leclerc|
|2011||The Big Bang Theory||Emily||The Wiggly Finger Catalyst|
|2011-Present||Switched at Birth||Daphne Vasquez||Lead role|
|2012||The Chew||Herself (guest)||Extra Value Friday|
|2012||CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Christine||Play Dead|
|2013||Teens Wanna Know||Herself (guest)||LA Times Festival of Books|
|2013||Good Day L.A.||Herself (guest)||March 4, 2013|
|2013||My Synthesized Life||Amanda||Amanda, A Disturbance Force|
|2014||Community||Carol||Analysis of Cork-Based Networking|
- Katie was bullied in school and often discusses it in interviews. She even joined ABC Family's Digital Drama campaign along with other ABC Family stars including her Switched at Birth costar Vanessa Marano.
- Katie adopted a dog she named Gus, an Australian Cattle Dog, who is deaf. She taught him how to understand sign language.
- In November of 2013 Katie became engaged to her long-time boyfriend, real-estate agent Brian Stuart Habecost.
- Despite the fact that Katie plays a teenager on Switched at Birth, she is actually 27 years old.
- Much like Daphne on Switched at Birth, Katie loves to cook. Her parents even own a Chinese restaurant in San Antonio, Texas called "Fire Wok".
- Katie is involved with many charities, including the Meniere's Disease Resource Foundation.
- Katie often posts behind the scenes photos of Switched at Birth on her Instagram account katieleclerc.